Acts of Restorative
This area is an A.R.K – an Act of Restorative Kindness
An A.R.K is a haven where our native plants and wildlife can thrive. It is a place that we leave undisturbed for natural processes to happen. Space for wildlife is disappearing but, over time, this ARK will become a safe place for pollinators and other creatures to find food and shelter.
The area of river bank between the newly built Riverside Quay and the Old Harbour alongside Shore Road is already a haven for wildflowers and wildlife. It is maintained by Stirling Council Fisheries Team for maximum biodiversity. In conjunction with Stirling Council we are ensuring that this small patch remains undisturbed as an A.R.K.
The purpose of an ARK is to allow nature to thrive without interference from people however to give it the best start possible we have planted seven oaks and a rowan with additional native plants scheduled for later this year.
We have installed a sign at the site and our ARK has now been registered on the We Are The Ark website. We are delighted to be part of an international web of sanctuaries.
Over the months and years we hope to see lots of interesting plants and beasties making this space home - why don't you take a Peek Over The Wall and let us know what you can spot?
The A.R.K organisation encourages people to establish areas of land where nature is allowed to restore itself.
1. To raise awareness of the extinction event we are experiencing.
2. To create safe and abundant havens for as many wild creatures as possible.
3. To give as much land as possible back into nature’s hands.
4. To create a web of interconnected living sanctuaries that will become the seeds to restore our planetary diversity and health.
5. To offer people something important to do to support life on earth.